1. Expectation: You have to have a date.
Reality: Plenty of people go alone or with friends. You will still have great time!
2. Expectation: You have to hook up with your date.
Reality: Hooking up is not a given. Make sure to communicate well with your date so that if you hook up it is consensual.
3. Expectation: you are going to get faded with all of your friends before.
Reality: Breathalyzers work. Every one who attends prom is breathalyzed. Getting caught drunk at an all school event has serious consequences. Is it really worth it?
4. Expectation: Boys have to (prom)pose.
Reality: At urban there aren’t any gender expectations about who asks who. It’s very common for girls to ask.
5. Expectation: Your (prom)posal has to be epic.
Reality: Although it’s good to ask in person, you don’t have to make a big show of asking someone to prom.
6. Expectation: Your date will pay for your prom ticket.
Reality: Tickets are expensive so expect to pay for your own ticket unless your date offers.
7. Expectation: You are going to look AMAZING in all the prom photos.
Reality: Between amateur parent photographers at pre prom and very candid dancing photos at prom, you might look sub par in the photos uploaded to Facebook.
8. Expectation: Prom is the most important night of your life.
Reality: At urban there are FOUR proms that you can attend. So if you don’t have any other worthwhile nights in your life, it will only be one of four of the most important nights of your life…and if it sucks at least you will have a funny story to tell your kids.
9. Expectation: Everyone rents a limousine.
Reality: I got driven to prom my freshman and sophomore year by my friend’s parents. Typically the whole limo and party bus thing is a junior and senior year tradition, but still by no means an expectation.
10. Expectation: Everyone has sex on prom night.
Reality: Although prom night sex is promoted by movies like American Pie, this expectation is a MYTH. Having sex on prom night is by no means the norm. Just have fun with your friends and party! If you do happen to have sex, do it responsibly (sophomore year health class everyone)
<3 <3 <3 ;) - Hipe